Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Problem Study

I chose to study commas, because for years now I can fully admit that they have been my biggest problem. Often times I felt as if I were using too many commas, and so I would take them out to the point where I wasn't using enough. Enough has come to enough, and I looked to LEO to help straighten out my confusion.

  1. Use a comma before a coordinating conjunction (and, or, but, nor, yet, for, so) that separates two independent clauses.
    • I was on time for the bus, but I forgot my ticket.
  2. Use a comma after an introductory word, phrase, or clause that comes before a main clause.
    • In fact, two out of three have been from wealthy families.
  3. Use commas around words, phrases, and clauses in the middle of a sentence when they aren't essential to the meaning of the sentence.
    • It is time to go, however, if you wish to stay here you may.
  4. Use commas between items in a series.
    • I need to buy a towel, swimsuit, and goggles for my day at the beach.  
  5. Use commas before and after a quotation within a sentence.
    • My mother always said, "The faster you wash dishes the faster you're done."
  6. Use a comma before an afterthought or contrasting element.
    • When deciding on schools, we must consider the whole picture, not just one aspect.
  7. Use commas to set off geographical names, items in date, and professional titles.
    • My dream is to one day visit Boston, Massachusetts.

I think that these rules are simple enough to get me going for now. I hope one day it will almost be second nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment